View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed 22 Nov, 2017 9:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 rekluse clutch installed in my rm 300 
TRAIL BOSS

Post rekluse clutch installed in my rm 300
Was a bit skeptical on what i read about the Rekluse but got a mate with an 012 RMZ450 and he raves about it - especially for us old fellas!!!!
Well i shelled out the $500 for the latest exp 3.0 with wedges instead of bearings.
Seemed pretty simple pulled 3 x fiber and 2 x metal plates and replaced with the exp basket after soaking it over night in ATF .
( yep used ATF in my gearbox no worries or slippage at all )

Then I re-assembled the clutch and adjusted up clutch freeplay - then steps too break it in.
Some articles say too run more oil than standard in the gearbox / clutch !!!
So i put 800 mm into the rm 250 bored out to the 300 recommended was 650 oil change.
A small test ride up and down the street - sweet and checked the freeplay and that it idled in every gear while standing still
just ever so slightly grabbing but not enuff to stall.
All in all 2 hrs work after adjustments and breaking in. :P

Then I took it too Maleny ride for what i can only call bush bashing mania.
And the clutch came through with aces - was sooo easy to climb hills and do tight turns - was very forgiving in the tight bush where i would normally stall several times = log hopping or river crossings but with the rekluse all was sooo easy it almost felt like cheating.
During the sat 40km and the sunday 70 km i only kick started the bike 10 - 15 times - normally it would be around 40 to 50 times.
That alone was great but the smooth engagement of the rekluse clutch in all circumstances that made the RM 300 power plant sooo much more managable - but being able to still use the clutch like normal it still kept the ability too hook the clutch for instant power -
I must admit it took a while to learn to blip the throttle on down hills so the clutch would keep the rear wheel braking engaged -
other than that worth its weight in gold.
Sorta makes up for not having an electric start !!!
maybe not quite - but close enuff for now!!!

I suspect it will chew slip the fiber plates faster and oil changes need to be more frequent but its a small price in return for control and the motor keeps running even if you drop it or bounce off rocks while going up hill swinging wildly outta control you can still pull it back into line
where normally it would be a stall - kick - hill start - and we all know that they can be ugly - SOLD!!!! :headbang

Hadnt come across anyone from riding with trailrideraus that had one in - as yet!
Q- any bad stuff to watch out for?
Hopefully the exp 3.0 wedge block technology deals with the older style noise issues.
I couldnt notice anything outta the ordinary during the Maleny ride.

happy as at the mo!!! hello2

Mon 01 Sep, 2014 6:02 pm
Beerburrum Freak

Post Re: rekluse clutch installed in my rm 300
The side effect is from now you will only be attracted to men bootyshake

Mon 01 Sep, 2014 6:24 pm
TRAIL BOSS

is that the wedge block cruch effect - chicks have them too!!! :o

Mon 01 Sep, 2014 6:42 pm
TRA Sponsor

Think you might have probs on bigger hills , cus they like reversing when the bike runs out of steam :o

Bloody good ride at the weekend !! I preferred Saturdays loop . Went past ya on the second loop on sunday looked like you having a good time :D

Mon 01 Sep, 2014 8:05 pm
TRAIL BOSS

Well I did a couple of the big vertical marked HARD option hills on sunday in second and felt no problems - the rekluse clutch was working hard all the way up and im around 140 kgs with all my gear on. icon_scratch
I even tried a fairly good one in third - again no worries pulled its way out. icon_salut

Changed the oil today - no metal - not really any different in colour to what it looks like after 4 to 5 big rides stock clutch set up???

Mon 01 Sep, 2014 9:07 pm

From my understanding the only issues with the Rekluse arise when people get lazy and ride in the wrong gear meaning the clutch will be slipping causing wear and generating heat. The heat probably isn't an issue in a 2t except for the clutch plates overheating but in a 4t it could be with engine side running off the same oil.

Thu 30 Oct, 2014 7:29 am

501freak wrote:
The side effect is from now you will only be attracted to men bootyshake

LMAO.

Thu 30 Oct, 2014 7:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ] 
support our sponsors Servicing Australia
Info on how to become a sponsor here. Full directory listing of sponsors here.