View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun 22 Oct, 2017 6:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 First dirt bike (DRZ400) 
TRAIL YOBBO

Post First dirt bike (DRZ400)
Having never had a dirt bike before, I opted for a more versatile dual sporter (DRZ400S) to wet the whistle so to speak. After about a month of riding on the road with its motard tyres it started to fall apart with lose bolts, dodgy wiring, sad suspension ect, so I decided to give it a freshen up. Had suspension rebuilt (seals, gold valves, springs ect), replaced sad parts (lots) and added a new headlight, tail light and dash. Then I got some dirt wheels for it (made it so much higher). Bike has 3x3 airbox mod, full yosi exhaust and JD jetting, anyone got tips for must haves/do's for this bike?

Wed 10 Jul, 2013 7:24 pm
Profile WWW
TRAIL LEGEND

Post Re: First dirt bike (DRZ400)
Seems like you have it set up now. Get rid of the DR mirrors as they weigh a ton. What tubes are you running?

Allan11 has one that goes well as I learnt today. Hopefully he will chime in. Its VERY hard to have a bike that is very capable in the bush and on the road. Keeping the motard rims would be a great start.

What safety gear do you have?

Wed 10 Jul, 2013 7:47 pm
TRAIL YOBBO

panhead_pete wrote:
Seems like you have it set up now. Get rid of the DR mirrors as they weigh a ton. What tubes are you running?

Allan11 has one that goes well as I learnt today. Hopefully he will chime in. Its VERY hard to have a bike that is very capable in the bush and on the road. Keeping the motard rims would be a great start.

What safety gear do you have?

Cheers Pete, agree, the mirrors are pretty old school "like the original headlight", I will keep a lookout for some aftermarket ones.

Yeah I know what you mean, these tyres are crap on the road, especially in the wet or above 80km, the street rubber is silky smooth.

As for gear, I just got a heap of 2nd hand gear from my bro, (boots, helmet, jersey, pants, gloves and pressure suit) just need some goggles. If I take a liking to it, probably get some better boots and another helmet, this one is just over 3 yrs old. Do I need anything else?

Man those oils stains come up bad in the photo, previous owners must have some leaky cars ;)

Last edited by samit4me on Wed 10 Jul, 2013 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed 10 Jul, 2013 8:01 pm
Profile WWW
Beerburrum Freak

the Drz hope it serves you well they are a good bike icon_thumright

Wed 10 Jul, 2013 8:07 pm
TRAIL LEGEND

Not everyone rides with them, but I really like pod knee braces and a Leatt neck brace. Plenty of knees (ACL, PCL) injuries happen and I want to be able to walk. :) Im a gumby and reckon I have had good use out of both.

Wed 10 Jul, 2013 8:10 pm
TRAIL YOBBO

Cheers 501, sounds like a good idea Pete, if I get into dirt often I will most certainly be getting some, injuries sux, but even more if they were preventable. icon_thumright

Wed 10 Jul, 2013 8:29 pm
Profile WWW
TRAIL BOSS

it certainly is the prettiest drz I have seen in a while and it sounds like you changed a few things. I can't see if you have b&b case savers on the engine? if you don't have them on get some.

Don't worry about any mirrors for the dirt and if you want to fit in then get some really rough sand paper and scratch the shit out of your plastics before you join a ride a glasshouse!!! OH I forgot and smash the tail light with a hammer, rip out 1 of your blinkers and let it hang down and you will fit right in.

I got back into dirt in Feb and got a drz400 08 and it had the air box opened and some jetting done, but was all standard and look very lovely!! it still had original front tyre and crap back tyre so struggled for a while.

i'm on the northside and sometimes ride around wild horse mountain-donnybrook area so happy for you to join in. If you want to get a feel for the dirt a bit better go to the Beerburrum-donnybrook rd (east of the highway) and about 200mtrs up the rd from the HW on the left is a single track that you will enjoy or ride the track that goes along the highway. easy tracks to get to know your bike better.

The photos show what to expect for your bike, 1. very clean with blinkers etc, 2. about the second ride and there is an engine somewhere. 3. while off for a month with ligament damage I striped to check everything. 4. stickers to cover the very badly scratched plastics. have fun on the rides.

Attachments:
bike-newish.jpg
bike-newish.jpg [ 47.82 KiB | Viewed 2914 times ]
bike-muddy.jpg
bike-muddy.jpg [ 52.67 KiB | Viewed 2914 times ]
bike-striped.jpg
bike-striped.jpg [ 64.18 KiB | Viewed 2914 times ]
bike-with-stikers.jpg
bike-with-stikers.jpg [ 53.16 KiB | Viewed 2914 times ]

Wed 10 Jul, 2013 10:45 pm
Profile WWW
TRAIL YOBBO

Cheers Allan, you certainly got some mud on her, looks good. My bike does have some case savers but I'm not sure what brand they are (noname), just looks like aluminum glued on. What about bash plates, I see it is pretty common for the B&B bash plates?

What sandpaper, 80 grit or 150 grit ;) haha thanks. Would be great to go for a ride, next time you go let us know. Will have to check out that location, much appreciated, I have often see bikes and 4wds in that area when cruising down the hwy. I hope that your ankle/knee is all better now cheers.

Thu 11 Jul, 2013 7:49 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ] 
support our sponsors Servicing SEQLD
Info on how to become a sponsor here. Full directory listing of sponsors here.