View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon 23 Oct, 2017 12:35 pm



Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 motard rims 
Author Message
TRAIL HACK

Joined: Thu 15 Mar, 2012 9:58 am
Posts: 83
Post motard rims
i know this is more of a wanted but i though id post it here since its also motard related.

Question is what are the best (cheaper) motard style rims to get ,,, needed for a KTM 2011 model exc, car is being a bitch of late and im thinkin of a set of motard wheels just to do the run to work, its only 20 km away from home.

as far as set up with gearing i was going to leave the standard 13 front and run a 45 rear ease of only changing rear wheel set up.

also thinking of the brembo oversize upgrade kit..

any options are welcome......

Cheers,


Steve


Tue 23 Oct, 2012 6:33 pm
Profile
TRA Forum Fixer
User avatar

Joined: Mon 28 Jun, 2010 10:20 pm
Posts: 1610
Location: Warner - NW Brisbane
Post Re: motard rims
The cheapest wheels by far are the Torpedo7 wheels. The only problem is their stock varies, sometimes they have them, sometimes they don't. They are on sale at the moment for $599.99
http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/T7W ... el-set-17-

_________________
Wes - www.offroadvw.net -bikes
http://www.taylorcycles.com.au My DH MTB racing bro's shop.


Tue 23 Oct, 2012 9:18 pm
Profile WWW
TRA Forum Fixer
User avatar

Joined: Mon 28 Jun, 2010 10:20 pm
Posts: 1610
Location: Warner - NW Brisbane
Post Re: motard rims
If you just want it to be a commuter I have a cheap pair of second hand sports touring tyres to fit those rims, I am chasing $80 for the pair;
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/261117245365 ... 1555.l2649

Gearing will depend on what speed limit roads you use. I went for the smallest rear sprocket I could while retaining the stock length chain. You can use this website to calculate sprocket distances;
http://www.gearingcommander.com/

The stock dirt front disc will be perfectly fine for road use. If you start doing track days then I recommend a bigger disc. I went for a chinese $190 320mmm disc with caliper adaptor which just offsets the stock caliper.
Image

Image

You also need to think about the speedo. I have a trail tech vapor which lets me change the wheel size.

You will also want a supermoto front fender. $29 from third gear, they also do a TRA discount to make it cheaper again;
http://www.thirdgear.com.au/categories/Plastics/

_________________
Wes - www.offroadvw.net -bikes
http://www.taylorcycles.com.au My DH MTB racing bro's shop.


Tue 23 Oct, 2012 9:28 pm
Profile WWW
TRAIL LEGEND

Joined: Fri 18 Jun, 2010 9:12 pm
Posts: 1330
Location: The part of warner i thought was good till i got robbed
Post Re: motard rims
pneumatic wrote:
If you just want it to be a commuter I have a cheap pair of second hand sports touring tyres to fit those rims, I am chasing $80 for the pair;
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/261117245365 ... 1555.l2649

Gearing will depend on what speed limit roads you use. I went for the smallest rear sprocket I could while retaining the stock length chain. You can use this website to calculate sprocket distances;
http://www.gearingcommander.com/

The stock dirt front disc will be perfectly fine for road use. If you start doing track days then I recommend a bigger disc. I went for a chinese $190 320mmm disc with caliper adaptor which just offsets the stock caliper.
Image

Image

You also need to think about the speedo. I have a trail tech vapor which lets me change the wheel size.

You will also want a supermoto front fender. $29 from third gear, they also do a TRA discount to make it cheaper again;
http://www.thirdgear.com.au/categories/Plastics/


Wes. I take it , that blue bottle. Up front is your catch can ? You need this for lakeside ??


Tue 23 Oct, 2012 9:40 pm
Profile
TRA Forum Fixer
User avatar

Joined: Mon 28 Jun, 2010 10:20 pm
Posts: 1610
Location: Warner - NW Brisbane
Post Re: motard rims
Yes, that's my carby catch can for lakeside. Having a dodgy looking catch can is part of the supermoto look :)

The tyres in those photos are the ones I am trying to sell. The trackday bug has bitten and I coughed up nearly $500 on very sticky trackday focused road rubber instead :)

_________________
Wes - www.offroadvw.net -bikes
http://www.taylorcycles.com.au My DH MTB racing bro's shop.


Tue 23 Oct, 2012 10:06 pm
Profile WWW
TRAIL BOSS
User avatar

Joined: Sun 05 Feb, 2012 4:43 pm
Posts: 272
Location: albany creek
Post Re: motard rims
I got a set of honda 250rr [mc19] wheels for mine..rear has a cush drive hub [bit less snatch on the g/box] $300 for the rims..approx $200 added bits bearings to suit different front axel size, rear sprocket..caliper adaptor as the std rotor is 320mm ..oh and i had to machine 20mm off the rear hub to get it all lined up..A real blast on the road.

cheap option is to get a set of road tyres to suit the std ktm rims..dont have to gin around with the speedo..most cruisers run 21" front tyres and the rear should have lots of options...


Wed 24 Oct, 2012 5:10 pm
Profile
TRAIL PORN STAR
User avatar

Joined: Thu 16 Jul, 2009 7:08 pm
Posts: 3159
Location: Rio Brisbanero
Post Re: motard rims
dangles2 wrote:
I got a set of honda 250rr [mc19] wheels for mine..rear has a cush drive hub [bit less snatch on the g/box] $300 for the rims..approx $200 added bits bearings to suit different front axel size, rear sprocket..caliper adaptor as the std rotor is 320mm ..oh and i had to machine 20mm off the rear hub to get it all lined up..A real blast on the road.

cheap option is to get a set of road tyres to suit the std ktm rims..dont have to gin around with the speedo..most cruisers run 21" front tyres and the rear should have lots of options...


Yeah but trying to get a decent sticky 21 inch front tyre isn,t easy BangHead


Wed 24 Oct, 2012 5:38 pm
Profile
TRAIL BOSS
User avatar

Joined: Sun 05 Feb, 2012 4:43 pm
Posts: 272
Location: albany creek
Post Re: motard rims
lunatick wrote:
dangles2 wrote:
I got a set of honda 250rr [mc19] wheels for mine..rear has a cush drive hub [bit less snatch on the g/box] $300 for the rims..approx $200 added bits bearings to suit different front axel size, rear sprocket..caliper adaptor as the std rotor is 320mm ..oh and i had to machine 20mm off the rear hub to get it all lined up..A real blast on the road.

cheap option is to get a set of road tyres to suit the std ktm rims..dont have to gin around with the speedo..most cruisers run 21" front tyres and the rear should have lots of options...


Yeah but trying to get a decent sticky 21 inch front tyre isn,t easy BangHead


Thats true..but if its only for a commuter then it would be heaps better than a knobby/universal...


Wed 24 Oct, 2012 5:43 pm
Profile
TRAIL PORN STAR
User avatar

Joined: Thu 16 Jul, 2009 7:08 pm
Posts: 3159
Location: Rio Brisbanero
Post Re: motard rims
dangles2 wrote:
lunatick wrote:
dangles2 wrote:
I got a set of honda 250rr [mc19] wheels for mine..rear has a cush drive hub [bit less snatch on the g/box] $300 for the rims..approx $200 added bits bearings to suit different front axel size, rear sprocket..caliper adaptor as the std rotor is 320mm ..oh and i had to machine 20mm off the rear hub to get it all lined up..A real blast on the road.

cheap option is to get a set of road tyres to suit the std ktm rims..dont have to gin around with the speedo..most cruisers run 21" front tyres and the rear should have lots of options...


Yeah but trying to get a decent sticky 21 inch front tyre isn,t easy BangHead


Thats true..but if its only for a commuter then it would be heaps better than a knobby/universal...


Yeah your right for the road they would be great icon_thumright
I was more talking about track days


Wed 24 Oct, 2012 5:56 pm
Profile
TRAIL HACK

Joined: Thu 15 Mar, 2012 9:58 am
Posts: 83
Post Re: motard rims
thanks for all the imput guys, i spyed thoes torpedo7 rims last night not bad for $600. im thinking i mite lean that way then i can get a decent set of tyres. Just the funds ATM .......... so if i upgrade the front disc i will have to adjust the speedo for that and also the wheel size.


Wed 24 Oct, 2012 7:17 pm
Profile
Beerburrum Freak
User avatar

Joined: Thu 09 Jul, 2009 5:17 pm
Posts: 6435
Post Re: motard rims
viewtopic.php?f=112&t=3924

_________________
03 KDX200 OHHH YERRR 2014 KTM 500 S##T YERR
That's Mr Cranky Pants to you
Poke me i dare you.


Wed 24 Oct, 2012 7:23 pm
Profile
TRAIL BOSS
User avatar

Joined: Sun 05 Feb, 2012 4:43 pm
Posts: 272
Location: albany creek
Post Re: motard rims
steve_85 wrote:
thanks for all the imput guys, i spyed thoes torpedo7 rims last night not bad for $600. im thinking i mite lean that way then i can get a decent set of tyres. Just the funds ATM .......... so if i upgrade the front disc i will have to adjust the speedo for that and also the wheel size.


thats a good price laced up and ready to go...usually $1600 or more..


Wed 24 Oct, 2012 7:59 pm
Profile
TRA Forum Fixer
User avatar

Joined: Mon 28 Jun, 2010 10:20 pm
Posts: 1610
Location: Warner - NW Brisbane
Post Re: motard rims
If your tight on money then buy the torpedo 7 rims, put on some cheap 2nd hand tyres (like mine :) ) and just use your dirt discs for now. The front disc size has no impact on your speedo. Only the tyre size effects the speedo. Until you sort something out with the speedo you can get by with sticking a piece of paper to your handle bars that tells you what speed indicated is what speed actual. It's easy to calculate, just a ratio of the tyre rolling diameters.

I sold my DRZ speedo for $350 and bought a trail tech vapor with dash light kit for $165. The trail tech lets me adjust for wheel size.

_________________
Wes - www.offroadvw.net -bikes
http://www.taylorcycles.com.au My DH MTB racing bro's shop.


Wed 24 Oct, 2012 10:11 pm
Profile WWW
TRA Forum Fixer
User avatar

Joined: Mon 28 Jun, 2010 10:20 pm
Posts: 1610
Location: Warner - NW Brisbane
Post Re: motard rims
This thread has some info and more links on how to change the KTM speedo to work with 17" wheels.
http://www.supermotoaus.com/showthread.php?t=13201

_________________
Wes - www.offroadvw.net -bikes
http://www.taylorcycles.com.au My DH MTB racing bro's shop.


Thu 25 Oct, 2012 8:06 am
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ] 
support our sponsors Servicing Australia
Info on how to become a sponsor here. Full directory listing of sponsors here.



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.