View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed 18 Oct, 2017 6:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 07 KLX250 
TRAIL YOBBO

Post 07 KLX250
Hey guys. New to the forum, just signed up tonight after riding with a few of the members from here today.

About the bike:
Its a 2007 KLX250. The "ag bike/farm bike" as its getting called lately from a few people. I only just bought it about 4/5months ago. It was completely stock and in excellent condition, that was before i bought it. It had been used as a road bike (with dirt tyres), however itll never see the road with me unless it needs to. So far i have manged to break the fork guards, standard set of handle bars, new pro taper handle bars (as of today), a gear lever and a battery. Due to having riden it a few times and never serviced it, i thought it was time to put some money into it to give it some more reliability and more grunt.

So here is what i have ordered:
FMF Q4 quiet slip on
New pads for front and back
Irridiam spark plug
Coil
Air filter
13T front sproket
Oil and filter
Chain
KDX200 snorkel
Heavy duty tubes

And once i work out what model KLX250 i have (s/f/fs) im looking at a dial a jet kit for the bike as jetting kits for this thing is extremely hard to find.

I will also be having a chat to someone at Suspension Matters to redo the front forks to suit my weight. At a guess their suited for someone 60 to 70kg, so very soft for me.
Im having troubles however trying to find a FMF megabomb header for my bike. I cant seem to find any only and its driving me nuts. I also cant seem to fit wider foot pegs for the old girl as well.

Any tips or advice on the old girl will be greatly appreciated.

This was a few weeks after i got it.

Then i got ahold of it and parts started needing replacing.
SAFFs bike is also in this photo.

Sat 13 Oct, 2012 8:56 pm
TRAIL HACK

Post Re: 07 KLX250
Hows the Knee Jessie?

These trail bikes are a bit of an expense keeping them in good order eh?
Cheers for being sweep today to.
Aaron.

Sat 13 Oct, 2012 9:05 pm
TRAIL GURU

cant believe you broke the pro-tapers!

Sat 13 Oct, 2012 9:12 pm
TRAIL YOBBO

The knee is settling down. Still abit painful.
Slightly pricey, but its worth looking after it then letting it fall to bits.
No dramas at all being sweep. On the section section of ride i was glad i was sweep as if i would have tried to keep up i would have eaten more tree then i did the second time.

And yea man, you guys kept saying their strong and remove the brace for the bark busters to fit. Turns it may of did some good that brace, well to stop it from bending more. Im not sure what to get next, dont think there is much stronger then that? I would have to say tho, if i was using the stock steel ones, id be still pushing that bike back to the cars by now. Solid hit.

Sat 13 Oct, 2012 9:15 pm
TRAIL HACK

Hey Jessie, your first mods would be best to include knee guards, cheap at $20-30. Always best to have the basic gear for protection.

The KLX is a great bike to start from but they are heavy, and undersprung. Getting the suspension dialled is a good idea for your weight and try to reduce as much weight off the bike that you can like removing racks, and replacing heavier ADR stuff with lighter gear (mini blinkers, aftermarket headlight, etc). There are plenty of forums / web sites on the KLX for mods, and a 300cc kit apparently really opens these bikes up.....but there is also a carby mod which removes the restrictions and makes then run a shed load better too....any Kawi dealer keeps this mod on hand as it is one of the most requested fixes. I might have some notes here in a mag I can check if your keen.

Pity about your bars, but some new tapered pro-tapers will open up the deck nicely too....and for wider pegs you can try the ballards peg repair kits which you weld onto your existing pegs if you can't find something to suit.

For sure tho, the forks really need to be sorted so you can push the bike harder....on some of those hits we were riding yesterday you need a fork that will soak and absorb the track rather than blowing thru the stroke and causing the bike to dive / wash out in the front. Dave at Suspension Matters or MPE should be able to sort this out but as you seem handy with the spanners it might be a good idea to see if you can get hold of some eibach springs to suit your weight from ballards or another supplier and throw them in. Upping the oil height a little in the forks could help too.

cheers
Dean

Sun 14 Oct, 2012 7:48 am
TRAIL GURU

great bike, i put a 300 kit in mine and a mikuni pumper carb. it had no worries keeping up with 250 motor crossers after i did those mods. my mates use to call it the tractor, cause some of the bog and hills it would do with little to no effort was amazing. i had an 2006 model

Attachments:
100_1187.jpg
100_1187.jpg [ 112.25 KiB | Viewed 4836 times ]

Sun 14 Oct, 2012 9:32 am
TRAIL GURU

another

Attachments:
SP_A0245.jpg
SP_A0245.jpg [ 178.73 KiB | Viewed 4834 times ]

Sun 14 Oct, 2012 9:35 am
TRAIL YOBBO

dt200rg wrote:
Hey Jessie, your first mods would be best to include knee guards, cheap at $20-30. Always best to have the basic gear for protection.

The KLX is a great bike to start from but they are heavy, and undersprung. Getting the suspension dialled is a good idea for your weight and try to reduce as much weight off the bike that you can like removing racks, and replacing heavier ADR stuff with lighter gear (mini blinkers, aftermarket headlight, etc). There are plenty of forums / web sites on the KLX for mods, and a 300cc kit apparently really opens these bikes up.....but there is also a carby mod which removes the restrictions and makes then run a shed load better too....any Kawi dealer keeps this mod on hand as it is one of the most requested fixes. I might have some notes here in a mag I can check if your keen.

Pity about your bars, but some new tapered pro-tapers will open up the deck nicely too....and for wider pegs you can try the ballards peg repair kits which you weld onto your existing pegs if you can't find something to suit.

For sure tho, the forks really need to be sorted so you can push the bike harder....on some of those hits we were riding yesterday you need a fork that will soak and absorb the track rather than blowing thru the stroke and causing the bike to dive / wash out in the front. Dave at Suspension Matters or MPE should be able to sort this out but as you seem handy with the spanners it might be a good idea to see if you can get hold of some eibach springs to suit your weight from ballards or another supplier and throw them in. Upping the oil height a little in the forks could help too.

cheers
Dean

Hey dean, i ordered some knee pads last night. So this should help me with my knee problems. Its not the first ride iv damaged my knee riding. Im currently loking at a plastic tank to remove that metal one. After riding my mates KTM 250 yesterday with a 400 piston and head (apparently taking it out to 350) im going to stay away from the 300 kit untill im happy with the way the bike rides. The carby mod is filling in a few holes and what not in the there, i had planed on doing this when the carby was out for the dias a jet kit. I just ordered another set of bars last night lol. Hopfully they last, along with another set of barkbusters that are guaranteed to fit or money back.

luke wrote:
great bike, i put a 300 kit in mine and a mikuni pumper carb. it had no worries keeping up with 250 motor crossers after i did those mods. my mates use to call it the tractor, cause some of the bog and hills it would do with little to no effort was amazing. i had an 2006 model

I like the headlight on yours, do you have any details on it?

Sun 14 Oct, 2012 10:23 am
TRAIL GURU

yeh mate it was an acerbis headlight off ebay, also had the power bomb header.

Sun 14 Oct, 2012 3:23 pm
TRAIL YOBBO

Too easy, ill have a look. Im having so much dramas trying to find the mega bomb to fit. As i just found out its a KLX250H. Which i havnt found anything that points it to a US model. As this last letter on the end is whats ment to tell me what dial a jet kit and header i need for mine. However i can only find KLX250S stuff. Its really doing my head in, as buying from the states you just can drive to the shop to change it for the right one.

Sun 14 Oct, 2012 3:55 pm
TRAIL GURU

i wouldn't worries to much about the jetting, you will never get good performance out of that stock carb, its a cvk carb that use's intake manifold vacuum to pull the slide open so throttle response will always be an issue. get the mikuni 33mm pumper carb or a 36mm if you are going to put a 300kit in it. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mikuni-Geniu ... 2ebe1abffa

the carb fits straight in and any bike shop or mechanic will be able to jet it, also check out planetklx.org everything you need to know is on there

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FMF-POWERBOM ... 1e65742adc

thats the header pipe you need. dont worrie to much about the s or h it will fit both.

http://www.planetklx.org/techtips/pumper-33.html some more info on the carb upgrade, it is the best mod you can do for the klx

Sun 14 Oct, 2012 7:58 pm
TRAIL YOBBO

Thanks for the links luke. I had been watching that powerbomb as a fail safe if i couldnt find a megabomb. I had been looking at pumper carbs but thats a little extra cash i dont want to spend right now. I went a little (well more then a little) overboard with what was just going to be a service and brakes.
Once again, cheers for your help.

Sun 14 Oct, 2012 8:06 pm
TRAIL HACK

I don't think there is a lot of difference engine / frame wise between the H and the S models, most changes were fairly cosmetic to the klx. You might even find the powerbomb might not really be necessary depending how the new Q4 pipe goes once you fit it and get it jetted to suit and then reassess the gearing. If you feel its still lacking in low down punch then it might be worthwhile as they are supposed to boost low to mid torque....but don't worry about fitting a Powernow (or similar devices) in the airboot prior to the carb. These things are advertised to offer a hike in low to mid torque / performance too but a good mate of mine who works on bike tuning / efi for serious mx, harley, drag and street bikes says despite the claims he has never seen a Powernow device give any improvement in torque or HP on the dyno.

FWIW if you are considering upgrading from the klx in the near future then it might pay to make the mods you want to be happy with the klx but then maybe keep your hard earned for your next bike as you could really start throwing serious coin into a bike which could begin to be a compromise to your riding ability down the track.

Sun 14 Oct, 2012 8:12 pm
TRAIL YOBBO

Thanks for the advise Dean. I dont plan on getting rid of this bike any time soon. For a few reasons being that im still paying it off and its a nice to ride. Iv tried 2 other bikes so far and ill be honest, abit too much power for my riding style right now. As SAFF mentioned yesterday, i have no regards to my safety when im in the mood, and to much power will soon wake me up. Im steering clear of big power adders such as engine and head work. Im thinking more along the lines of my automotive knowledge of a free flowing exhaust and intake. Making it rev easier with smoother power delivery. However, my knowledge is only limited to cars (mainly commodores) and i dear say bikes are slightly different in a sense and doing all this could possibly end up just like my car (SAFF will understand this).

I will however take your advice on the header pipe and leave it for now, but ill still get myself the dial a jet kit due to the exhaust and intake mods. That way i can still fill in the 2 holes in the carby slide and get as close to the correct air/fuel ratio i need to run at its best. The rest of the coin is really service items and parts to make the bike perform better. I did just find myself a set of rad shields that would be beneficial to me and my tree plowing games lol.

I am looking for more up and go as i would like to attempt to do wheels and get some more air. Yesterday being the first time i had ever got air, it was a great feeling. And sadly it may of just became an addition.

Sun 14 Oct, 2012 8:30 pm
TRAIL HACK

no worries Jessie....yeah sounds like a good plan but yeah like cars you can plow some serious coin into bikes too!!! Especially if you break stuff :? The good thing is that your klx is built tonka tuff unlike some modern 250's so she'll hold together just fine next time you go tree plowing...! cheers.

Sun 14 Oct, 2012 8:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
support our sponsors Servicing Australia
Info on how to become a sponsor here. Full directory listing of sponsors here.