View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat 21 Oct, 2017 2:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 22  Next
 Back on the bench BUGGER 
TRAIL GURU

Post Re: Back on the bench BUGGER
Well Simon you have company on the bench.
I didn't even get to graduate from a beginner rider to the next level.
But the up is I will be able to ride in 6 or so months.
Surgery is this Friday or next I got a bit confused.
I had 2 options two surgeries and more recovery time,
or put them together for a taller more agile better looking me.
So that is what I've decided to do.
I just started meeting some lovely ladies and men on the tra rides I've only
been on 4, 3 that I've rode at and really enjoyed myself, so hopefully be back out soon.

Cheers
Leanne

Mon 05 Mar, 2012 6:43 pm
Pro Dude
Pro Dude

Sad news flower..I know your enjoying time on the bike

Mon 05 Mar, 2012 7:01 pm
TRAIL GURU

What happened Leanne?
All the best with the surgery.
Look forward to your come back ride. :wav

Mon 05 Mar, 2012 7:03 pm
TRAIL GURU

Donna450X wrote:
What happened Leanne?

Hi Donna,
Hurt my back at work and my left leg has gone numb.
A disc in my back has split open and is now pushing against my spinal cord which has to be fixed asap other wise the consequences are not good so I am being very careful. The next step is to remove the broken disc replace that and two others with a composite material these will be held in place with screws the bone will grow through the composite fillers there by fusing the vertebrae together that process will take 6 months I will be in hospital for one week at home for 4 weeks on light duties for the rest of the time no lifting anything. I decided to have all this done in one go instead of two surgeries.
I will be able to ride again in 6 month.
So i will have to have a belated birthday ride.
Leanne.

Mon 05 Mar, 2012 8:30 pm
TRAIL LEGEND

All the best Leanne!!!

10 Kawasaki Ninja 250R -too green

Tue 06 Mar, 2012 6:11 am
TRAIL GURU

Flower Power wrote:
Donna450X wrote:
What happened Leanne?

Hi Donna,
A disc in my back has split open and is now pushing against my spinal cord which has to be fixed asap other wise the consequences are not good so I am being very careful. The next step is to remove the broken disc replace that and two others with a composite material these will be held in place with screws the bone will grow through the composite fillers there by fusing the vertebrae together that process will take 6 months I will be in hospital for one week at home for 4 weeks on light duties for the rest of the time no lifting anything. I decided to have all this done in one go instead of two surgeries.
Leanne.

Ouch Leanne, sorry to hear your news!
I hope you have a speedy recovery, all the best with it and let us know if you need a hand with anything! icon_thumright

Tue 06 Mar, 2012 7:41 am
TRAIL GURU

Thank you April, Donna and Hori for your well wishes.

Tue 06 Mar, 2012 7:56 am
Post Whore
Post Whore

Flower Power wrote:
Donna450X wrote:
What happened Leanne?

Hi Donna,
Leanne.

Hi leanne

You are in the same situation I am in but have it a bit worse now but a bit better in some ways.

I had a prolaps instead of a split disc. Right leg siatica leading to a numb foot.

I had a Micro disectomy but may still have to have the sergury you are having after nearly a year on so in some respects making the hard choice up front is by far the best one but every case is different. (I had no choice)

I hope every thing goes well for you

few tips

take the recovery times and add a bit ( or a lot weeks / months ) to be safe. Note this is just to manage expectations so when you get to the 4 week stage when the doc said you would be fine and are not its not a suprise. They (Docs) are very poor communicators.

Be nice as you can to the nurses. they deserve it and can make life good (dont really need to put that one in do I)

Drugs take em! but get off em as soon as you can., dont be tought and not use the prescribed stuff as you will need the heavy stuff (Trust me) but as soon as you can cut back. Read up on the side effects of the drugs before hand so you know what you are in for But dont get scared off of them just get prior knowledge as much as possible.

I hope you have a good support structure around you and TRA can help with destractions as well.

Dont worry re not getting back on the bike. the need to ride fades after a while.... No really it does.... I ...Just..... havent....reached...that...bit yet.

aaaaaaaagggggghhhhhhh...

sorry back on track

Hope it all goes well with you. I hope also that the almighty WC is ok as well. Note they will get ot a date and start to wind back their incredibly helpful attitude.......

I did some reseach on that sergery and its very good nowdays. I have stories of people up and about with very little pain very quickly where as the discectomy can cause long term ongoing pain.... BUGGER. wish they had told me that before hand

remember Google is your friend. (Note the docs dont like it though...)

Good Luck

Tue 06 Mar, 2012 8:46 pm
TRAIL GURU

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the tips. I have been googling madly and reading up in readiness.

My surgery is on the 16th. I like my surgeon he's human. (as most aren't)

So I feel comfortable with the decision of doing 2 surgeries in one.
I've gone to my own doctor, surgeon and my choose of treatment.

This is before wc has come on board.
I didn't want to hop on the wc round about and have it drag on.

Pain killers I'll have if I need them. I know what you mean.

Riding dirt bikes is like a addiction so this well be the hardest bit of the whole ordeal.

Thanks again Simon, I let you know how it goes.

Cheers
Leanne

ps Simon I just read up on prolaps siatica boy not much difference in our injuries

Tue 06 Mar, 2012 10:49 pm
TRAIL GURU

Hi Leanne sorry to hear about your injury (im on the bench with a Compressed t12 Vertebrae) as Simon has already said take your time to let things heal, the one thing that has really shocked me with my injury is the slow progress of the Healing ! My Surgeon decided not to operate, but for me to wear an aluminium and vinyl back brace for the first 6 to 8 weeks and complete rest with minamal movement which i have done. I went back two weeks ago for my check up and he was happy that the spine hadnt moved out of line and said all was ok ! But the thing i didnt realise is that my Vertebrae will never grow back to the same shape it was before my accident ! The vertebrae is shaped like a Wedge (about 20mm on one side and about 60mm on the other) this causes me to always have my back pushing forward where the gap is between the Vertebrae. Im not able to sleep for more than 4 to 5 hours without getting up and stretching out for an hour or so. Im not trying to scare you off as i think you are going down the right path to get it repaired asap, but dont be in a hurry to get it going to quickly as you might do more harm than good ! I didnt go down the path of any pain killers as they scare the shite out of me so i just put up with the pain. It has been about 10 weeks since i did mine and i only get thru half a day without my back hurting like shite ! i have had heaps of other injuries over the years but they always got better, it seems that this one may never be the same, and im almost certain my days on any type of Motor cycle are over. crybaby2 T all you guys and gals out there take extremely good care of your Backs as they are precious. i will go down the surgery road if im no better by the end of the year, heres hoping. You have age and beauty on your side so you will be Fine icon_thumright and back riding soon ! Keep us posted on the full process as we wish you the best for it.

CHEERS RAY. :bench: This is how i did it.

Wed 07 Mar, 2012 8:07 am
TRAIL LEGEND

Funny how the smallest things can do it. When I hurt my ankle I was prob going only 20 km and washed the front end out! Nothing glamorous at all!

10 Kawasaki Ninja 250R -too green

Wed 07 Mar, 2012 8:18 am
TRAIL GURU

Hi Rakinray,

I really appreciate the advise and understanding that you and Simon share with me.

When I read about your back injury my heart went out to you.

Also to Simon with his injury. His sounds so much like mine, but I'm not sure if his is from being worn out.

I have been living with back pain for a long time and with physio, chiropractor, acupuncture and medication to get through it. But as of late the good times have gotten shorter and shorter.

I really didn't have any other options but surgery. My surgeons words your back is stuffed, it's worn out, with facially expression.

My back had been sending me messages, but I was taking it as signs of aging and living with it. (next month I'll be 53)

My advise to others is go to the doctors if any thing doesn't feel right get xrays or ct scans don't just think it age or it'll be right.

I can relate to your sleeping pattern that could get better as time goes on.

I also agree with you look after your back I'm forever telling the kids I work with don't lift that look after your back, they thought I was a silly old lady but not now.

I do hope everything goes well for you with your back also with Simon's back and I can't leave April out with her ankle which I can't understand why no positive answers for April yet.

Hang in all we will be up and running marathons.

Cheers
Leanne

Wed 07 Mar, 2012 1:55 pm
Post Whore
Post Whore

Sounds like you have had issues for a while.

I had a very strong back (and took it for granted) right up till the accident at work.

I had a few single man lifts that are beyond the limit that I am now trying to change the culture at work (Aust wide) but its not easy

One incedent was lifting an airconditioner into place by my self and we are directed to do this with only one tech. Dead set stupid. Aircond is 43 KGs and is a dead lift to 1.5 m opening (plus removing the old unit)
then there was the flood clean up stuff many battery relocations and generator lifts.

all this Right before the callout that stuffed my back.

The ironic thing is the trail riding builds up core strenght in your back very well. (obviously you need to watch impact injuries) but riding bikes and controling them builds the core strength you need for a healthy back.

I hope your op goes ok and that Good old WC treats you well. (they start out ok and seem to go down hill imo.)

Wed 07 Mar, 2012 7:51 pm
Pro Dude
Pro Dude

carried 40kg bags of cement since i was 15 Simon.. i must say i do like the new 20kg bags we use now thnough..

cause in me 20's u wasnt a Man unless u could carry a 40kg bag on each shoulder crybaby2

young kids today cry over a 20kg bag lol..

i remember the cement strike in early 80's dad ordered 5 tonn of cement to his house they delivered it on the footpath !! we had to carry it up to his garage.. Thats 125 40 Kg bags

yep im staying on this bench groin stuffed and ribs still touchyashole

Wed 07 Mar, 2012 9:25 pm
TRAIL LEGEND

Location: The part of warner i thought was good till i got robbed
Yer well we all did things. Tuff ! Back in the day !!! Just like drum brakes & piston slap ! :o

Wed 07 Mar, 2012 11:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 22  Next
support our sponsors Servicing Australia
Info on how to become a sponsor here. Full directory listing of sponsors here.