View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed 18 Oct, 2017 1:49 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Go Pro Hero HD Tips tricks and helpful hints 
Post Whore
Post Whore

Post Go Pro Hero HD Tips tricks and helpful hints
Seeing as there are a few of us with the Go Pro Hero helmet cam Im starting a thread on This cam.
Please DO NOT POST UP UNLESS YOU HAVE A GO PRO tip or trick. I would like to keep this thread on topic please!

Go Pro HD Is capable of upto 1080P HD video and is used for TV broadcast the quality is that good!

Unfortunatly the interface is not quite so good. But I will get to that

The Go pro has a small LCD screen that is on the front of the unit that display the current settings. There is also an LED that displays if the unit is recording and 2 switches. and thats it!

The Top switch stops and starts recording and changes some menu functions

The front switch is the power switch and also changes some menu funtions.

From start up the cam can be set up to film capture pics at intervals or just take pictures. The pics it takes arnt too bad either!

Resolutions:

The cam is set to 960P from standard. The site say this is the "Best" for motorsport But I think they have this wrong (Just my opinion!)

Options are:

R1 848 by 480 pixels at 60 frames per seconds wvga

R2 1280 by 720 pixels at 30 frames per seconds 720p

R3 1280 by 720 pixels at 60 frames per seconds 720p

R4 1280 by 960 pixels at 30 frames per seconds 960p

R5 1920 by 1080 pixels at 30 frames per seconds 1080p

I have tried all setting and found the best quality is R5 but you end up with HUGE files and HUGE uploads. You also need a very grunty computer to process the Video.

My Preference is now 720p at 30 frames per second or R2. This is what we used last wekend and I think it is worth it.
Keep in mind that Youtube and Vimeo will Down scale to a maximum of 720p 30 frames per second so there is no advantage to filming in a higer res unless you watch on your flat screen at home.

SD Cards

Dags has a thread up re SD cards and I dont think I need to go over it again but Knignston SD cards are the most realible.

32 Gig cards are supported.
I have a 16 gig and the card outlasts the battery.
Mounting:
Dags has supplied me with a chesty pack which is fantstic for handing out at the start of a ride with little or no set up time.
there are many different mounting options and thing they have done a really good job in this regard.
I am yet to mount up the cam with anything aside from the chesty harness. but will be doing some experimenting soonas the grab bag arrived today (thanks Dags!)

Getting the angle correct is a challenge.

I have attched the cataloge and the instruction manual as a guide.

I will go into the sett up of the cam and the fiddly menu setup tomorrow.

Attachments:
HD_HERO_Catalog_v04.pdf [3.58 MiB]
Downloaded 59 times
HD_HERO_en_instructions_v01.pdf [134.56 KiB]
Downloaded 76 times

Mon 15 Mar, 2010 10:03 pm
TRA Sponsor

Post Re: Go Pro Hero HD Tips tricks and helpful hints
Good onya Simon, I'll throw up anything along the way that might help, between the orig threads here & over the road there's a plethora of info, good to summarise it.
There's lots of little tips & tricks which we keep learning about, the settings really become a personal preference & like you say PC grunt really counts, for overall viewing I like R3.
The view angle - 2 tips, always point it slightly higher than you think it should be, the setting used helps with the field size captured. The second I find the best, set it up as a webcam & get the mounting position that way, what better view finder than a 22' monitor - mark the mounts & just set it there all the time,

BTW - 1080P webcam is sweet for those mmmmmmm nice moments :wav :wav

Mon 15 Mar, 2010 10:24 pm
Profile WWW
Post Whore
Post Whore

Post Re: Go Pro Hero HD Tips tricks and helpful hints
Here are some vids that show the end result of some resolutions when uploaded to Vimeo.

There will be different results when uploaded to youtube But as that crashes so much I have abandonded that altogether!

Note if you double click in the area of the video it will play full screen to give the best picture

Here is 720p at 60 frames per second R3

Here is 1080p at 30 frames per second R5

and lastly here is 720p at 30 frames per second R2

To get the best idea turn HD on (this will cause longer load times)

The 720p at 60 frames per second and the 1080p at 30 frames per second have the same bit rate. This determins the file size.

The 720p at 30 frames per second has a much lower bit rate and a smaller file size. This means longer recording quicker uploading and smaller file sizes.

1080p is nice (dags I dont wana even think what you are using that for mate!!!) but you do need a VERY powerful computer to play and edit the footage. So keep this in mind. If you capture in this mode a lot you will find your self looking to upgrade your computer as well.

Tue 16 Mar, 2010 6:42 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 3 posts ] 
support our sponsors Servicing SEQLD
Info on how to become a sponsor here. Full directory listing of sponsors here.