View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed 13 Dec, 2017 8:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 choosing a bike for new rider 

Post choosing a bike for new rider
Hey guys I'm 5 ft 9, 82kg guy looking at buying a trailbike and getting int the sport. I'm a big fan of the 2 stroke but am aware of the aggressiveness of them. I was just wondering what people suggest. I like the ktm Yamaha and husky ?

Thu 09 Apr, 2015 11:22 am
TRAIL GURU

Post Re: choosing a bike for new rider
What experience do you have and what sort of budget?

Assuming you're starting from scratch you'll also need to buy riding gear which can add up pretty quick, at least $1k for basic stuff.

The bike really depends on your budget. I'd suggest a WR250F, easy to ride and reliable. If your budget is low then a two stroke (KTM EXC range) may be a better option as they are cheaper to rebuild/repair. Older high performance four strokes can cost a bit to get right if/when they go wrong.

Most places to ride require a registered bike, so keep that in mind too.

Thu 09 Apr, 2015 12:18 pm

I have very little riding experience and budget is really an issue as I will be buying my gear over the next few months in preparation so i don't have to spend even more when I do purchase.

What do you think in regards to 2 stroke vs 4 stroke as I am a big fan of the 2 stroke?

Thu 09 Apr, 2015 1:38 pm
TRAIL GURU

Easy then, get a 2 stroke.

2T 'aggressiveness' depends heavily on the model. Some are tame, some can be tuned to be mild or wild and others are just wild and really not suited to a beginner.

After being off dirt bikes for 17 years I got back into with a a WR250F (4T). I now have a 250 EXC (2T). The WR is an easier and more forgiving bike to ride. The EXC is lighter and overall more 'fun' - but I'm glad I went the WR before the EXC.

If your bike budget is limited (say under $5k) I tend to think a 2T is a better choice, as I mentioned above, they are cheaper to work on as older dirt bikes will always need something done to them. An older high performance 4T has the potential cost you a lot. But that's just my opinion.

Thu 09 Apr, 2015 2:22 pm
TRAIL BOSS

im with ya on the 2 stroke.
I had a drz 400 4 stroke for 2 yrs and very dull to ride and heavy.
After a 2 stroke even the wr is dull and listless - no snap n poke at all.
good bulldozer but not really much fun. ( if its snap and go ya want )
Biased as im a suzuki fan and therfore still own a registerable rmx 250. :headbang
The 98 99 2000 oz models go for around 1 to 2 k maybe 2.5 for an immaculate low k one and can be tamed or tweaked with just one or two simple adjustments as the power band can be advanced or retarded by a dial on the barrel effecting the power valve and a simple pipe upgrade can give more power n snap.
Down side is the power valves are prone to failure if no maintenance has been carried out.
and nikasel bore means if its seized its a throw away.
But if maintained its a good reliable bike as many have owned and moved on -
An older ktm 300 is also a good start as stated good for parts and many years interchangable. icon_salut
Both have plenty of low down torque and smooth power delivery.
A great starter - once a 2 stroker = always a 2 stroker!!! thefinger

Attachments:
rmx 97 wasp.jpg
rmx 97 wasp.jpg [ 116.78 KiB | Viewed 1647 times ]

Thu 09 Apr, 2015 2:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ] 
support our sponsors Servicing SEQLD
Info on how to become a sponsor here. Full directory listing of sponsors here.