View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue 12 Dec, 2017 12:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 New here, new to dirt bikes - Brisbane Southside 
Pro Dude
Pro Dude

Post Re: New here, new to dirt bikes - Brisbane Southside
Welcome mate ..

Sun 01 Feb, 2015 12:05 pm

Thanks again for the welcomes.

The stock muffler has had the baffles drilled out. Already have a Trailtech Vapor dash (came with it).
I've only added weight since I bought it though! B&B bash plate, B&B case savers, Safari clear 17" tank, changed the headlight bulb for an LED one which is much better but has a heatsink hanging off the back, and put the toolkit pack back on.
I do have a CW 434 big bore kit coming already (falling dollar, and it was on special so I bought it impulsively). Will sort out jetting once it's installed.

Thoroughly enjoyed my little trip up Duck Creek Road today, even got it on video. Never fell off, which is a good thing. If things get squirrelly I have to either save it or die... because I can't reach the ground grrr. Had a bit of fun sliding around, learnt that the rear brake lever is too high because every time I touched it the back wheel locked instantly, managed to get both wheels in the air once which was a weird feeling - it was like I was still in the air and the bike had plummeted to earth underneath me.

For a first timer I'm thoroughly impressed with myself and can't wait to get even better.

Image2015-02-01 08.46.49 by tis Kiz, on Flickr

Sun 01 Feb, 2015 6:38 pm
TRAIL BOSS

why the safari - i got over 120 kms out of my normal tank - and theres a reserve -
so where you plannin on going - desert bashin? icon_scratch
Never mind the extra 10 kgs the extra fuel does on your front end
+ a washy front end is the drz,s down fall. scuz the pun lol. :o

A drilled pipe aint a patch on a good tuned slip on and big bore well youve bought it so yas might as well put it on.
Youll definately need the slip on to make it breath,
but honestly its never lacking in power that was the problem with a well tuned DRZ.
its the overall weight and the steel pipe vs a slip on
= a another 5 kgs saved by changing from the weighty stock beast mufler - weighs a ton.
alloy bash plate essential and clutch and magneto cover plates - i put my brake lever through my clutch cover in the first week - very expensive lesson.
my guess if ya really start to get into the dirtbikin big time youll out grow outa the DRZ in a year.
hence mud bashin picture = sold it and bought 2 2 strokes - much more fun in the mud = 2 strokes rule!!!
so dont over capitalise - ooops too late! :nono

Attachments:
026 (2).JPG
026 (2).JPG [ 153.11 KiB | Viewed 1482 times ]

Sun 01 Feb, 2015 8:09 pm

Yeah I may well grow out of it quick, but it's also my town bike, filters through traffic easier than my Triumph. I love doing southside runs around Woodenbong, Urbenville, Queen Mary Falls and the rough roads suit the DRZ so well, thus the bigger tank. I got 215kms out of the stock tank because the power was out at Woodenbong = no fuel. I get that range because I have a 36T rear sprocket on the sumo wheels, standard gearing on the knobbies though.
I'll change the pipe eventually, I want the quietest one though.

Edit: vid of my first run: https://www.youtube.com/v/eWFDHX3B_Pc?v ... &vq=hd1080

Sun 01 Feb, 2015 8:33 pm
TRAIL BOSS

then itll never be a real trail dirt bike. knobbly tyres will get chewed faster than hell!
specially if ya ride it on the road to every event / dirt ride!
good rides are over 150 - 300 kms away - u will need a ute or a trailer?
if ya break something or the bike gets a good damage fall - ( its a beast in the wet especially if tyres are less than perfect) youll be running the gauntlet home.
Basically virtually no one i know has a combo road dirt bike that stays roadworthy - nearly impossible!
good luck sitting on the fence!

Mon 02 Feb, 2015 7:43 am

Yep I use a trailer. One, to keep the wear on the knobbies down and, two, if I break it I can just tow it home.
I'll appreciate what you're saying as I get more into the off road riding, for now I'm happy swapping wheels to suit what I'm using it for.

Mon 02 Feb, 2015 7:48 am
Pro Dude
Pro Dude

Knobies are over rated .. i get plenty of rides on my bike with none left on ..

:)

Mon 02 Feb, 2015 9:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
support our sponsors Servicing SEQLD
Info on how to become a sponsor here. Full directory listing of sponsors here.