View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon 23 Oct, 2017 7:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 my XR650R 
Post my XR650R
IT'S ALIVE!!! occasion18 with only a couple of mods left to do icon_thumright
The Bike
It's a 2006 XR650R low k, upgraded with 46mm showa twin chamber CRF front-end and customised cr500 rear shock, :D
The Story
I brought this bike in march from a guy on another forum he came here from Austria and did some touring on it the last leg of his trip was to return to brisbane from cairns to fly home while parked outside a fast food chaoin in cairns cbd is was stolen, he reported it before heading home to Austria thinking he'd never heard of it again well some 18 months passed and he got a ph call form the Austrian conulate in canberra to tell him that cairns police had located his bike, To his surprise the bike was complete and running, The thief had on sold it to an unsuspecting purchaser!!! Who had got a RWC and taken it to QLD Transport to get it regoed were it was impouded, REV'S check are a must he lost the bike and was unable to recover any $$$ from the thief

The Original owner/builder of the bike is also on bike forum's and has given me a history of the bike, the bike had done less then 2500k's at the time of sale then add a trip from sydney to the cape and back to cairns and what ever thief did on it which seems to be very little and the tyres are the same as when it was stolen and in the same condition
On the cape trip it had been drown a couple of times I rode it once and everthing seemed fine plenty of compression no oil leaks or smoke and no nasty noises.
However I decided to do a full strip of the bike

The Rebiuld
included the motor even though after a full inspection it was faultless,
I installed a JE 11:1 hi-comp piston, I have had the head off my old XR recoed with a full kibblewhite valve train set, new timing chain, stg 2 hotcam (now removed) and a new H/D clutch
The rest of the bike was in very good condition :headbang I did all the basic's, new suspenson seals & regreasing all bearings, serviced the forks and upgrade the front and rear springs to suit me. I fully serviced the brake systems, I also did some mods the swingarm got some extra seals to prevent dirt and grit entering & wearing the bearings,
The Right hand Footpeg is of poor design so that was resolved (see thread) and I resealed the airobx to carb sock as they are a dry seal and let dust in after the filter

I stripped and delaced the wheels to have the hubs powder coated thanks to 001 Andrew for the loan of your wheel jig icon_thumright
I went a little crazy with powder coating aswell as the hubs the engine side covers, water pump cover, oil filter cover, tappet covers, R/H Footpeg and frame bracing brackets all got the treatment,

As with most things it just grew :nono with new spokes, bearings & seals, brake pads, O/S EBC front Disc, chain and sprockets, tyres, 2nd rad guards, Trail Tech vapor dash, Full T4 Pro circuit exhaust and some new plastic's occasion1 I think I'm a gold customer with RMATV icon_scratch

What's left
Resolve cam issues this will mean stipping the top-end BangHead the hi-comp piston may go aswell icon_scratch
install the pumper carb
and Ride it :wav :wav

thanks go to:
dave at suspension matters
Freak
001 andrew
and
Rocket (for buying my wr bits so i had play $$$ for this)

so here's the pic's s
when recovered
Attachment:
mybrp.jpg
mybrp.jpg [ 71.73 KiB | Viewed 819 times ]

Now
Attachment:
sideon.JPG
sideon.JPG [ 168.76 KiB | Viewed 819 times ]

Attachment:
fronton.JPG
fronton.JPG [ 165.82 KiB | Viewed 819 times ]
Attachment:
pipeline.JPG
pipeline.JPG [ 158.13 KiB | Viewed 819 times ]
Attachment:
osbrake.JPG
osbrake.JPG [ 142.2 KiB | Viewed 819 times ]
Attachment:
airbox mod.JPG
airbox mod.JPG [ 88.49 KiB | Viewed 819 times ]

Attachments:
dash.JPG
dash.JPG [ 126.95 KiB | Viewed 819 times ]
sideeng.JPG
sideeng.JPG [ 123.69 KiB | Viewed 819 times ]
Thu 10 Nov, 2011 4:01 pm
TRAIL GURU

Post Re: my XR650R
She is a beautiful looking bike mate, has got to be one of the best 650's getting around
dont you get tired of kicking it over all the time? :P

Thu 10 Nov, 2011 4:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ] 
support our sponsors Servicing Australia
Info on how to become a sponsor here. Full directory listing of sponsors here.