View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue 17 Oct, 2017 10:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Road to Romaniacs 
TRAIL BOSS

Post Road to Romaniacs
Well, finally got my shit sorted and I am going to have a crack at Romaniacs this year. :wav Entry fee paid, flights sorted just need a bike dontknow Looking at either freighting my bike over or hiring.
Entered Expert singles and will be heading over with a few Kiwi mates. Nervous just thinking about it crybaby2

Training has started and hopefully can get fit enough to at least finish hello2 Plan is to do lots of cardio and as much riding as possible icon_thumright Bit hard trying to fit everything in alongside work commitments
I am interested to hear from people who have ideas for fitness training, currently running, riding and cycling
Unfortunately not off to a good start with the bike training, bought a new 2013 250 sixdays, 27hrs old and the main clutch cover housing gasket failed at the water pump resulting in a cooked 250 BangHead , warranty is covering it - new piston, bearings and machined head :cussing
I then cooked my old 250 sixdays last night, might have to buy a mountain bike :x
NZ National Enduro champs kick off next weekend so should be a good hit out to see where the fitness is at.
There are a couple of rounds of the NZ Extreme enduro coming up also so will give these a bash

Kenilworth will also get a work out when I am home

Thought I would get a post started in case anyone else wanted to have a crack in the future and wanted to know the trials and tribulations...

Cheers
Pricey

Last edited by pricey on Fri 25 Jan, 2013 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri 25 Jan, 2013 11:25 am
TRAIL LEGEND

Post Re: Road to Romaniacs from a layman
If you need fitness advice, send me a pm. Happy to help.

And good luck!

10 Kawasaki Ninja 250R -too green

Fri 25 Jan, 2013 12:34 pm
TRAIL GURU

Awesome mate, look forward to hearing the tales, something I would love to do,

But alas think I am too old/injured :|

My gym has the seated row machine with handlebars, I particularly like that, leg presses, and most people on here are anti cyclist,
but there is a good reason nearly every top rider in all disciplines push out big miles on a bike.

Best of luck Steve, cant wait to follow it.

Fri 25 Jan, 2013 1:26 pm
TRAIL GURU

Good stuff.

I actually watched the latest Romanics video last week... looks tough!

Fri 25 Jan, 2013 2:13 pm
TRAIL GURU

way to go Pricey we'll be following your progress . all the best

Fri 25 Jan, 2013 4:18 pm
TRAIL LEGEND

Location: The part of warner i thought was good till i got robbed
Good luck Steve icon_thumright

I only no unfit type of stuff BangHead

Fri 25 Jan, 2013 6:18 pm
TRA Sponsor

Post Re: Road to Romaniacs
good one steve :D would love to have a go at romaniacs n erzberg not saying i would be any good but would just be happy with a finish . whats the whole cost with bike hire hotels flights ete ?? hope to have a go before i get to 50 only got 3 years then :cussing

i would say the more time on the bike is the best for bike fitness

give me a call when your back in town we can do kenilworth a few times in the week ( thats if you show up :D haha )

bad news about the bike i know of a few 350 had the same probs

good luck over there icon_thumright

Fri 25 Jan, 2013 7:21 pm
TRAIL HACK

Good luck Steve!!! I've see some of the video looks full on.

I''ll be available for midweek rides with some notice if you need company.

Fri 25 Jan, 2013 9:52 pm
TRAIL HACK

Good Luck ! Give 'em hell over there! If only I was super cashed up (and about 300% more fit !) I'd have a tilt at that or that other Red Bull Race to the Sky (the one up the mountain that starts from the beach).

Maybe the Le Torquie ( that full on beach race in France) thats another on the all time full-on adventure (once again if I were super cashed up and fit!!) rides !

Just find out which bike that Jarvis bloke or David Knight is on and follow his tracks and when thay fall only metres from the end you can win Steven Bradbury style !!!!!! :wav

Fri 25 Jan, 2013 10:08 pm
TRAIL GURU

Good work Steve. Sounds like an awesome experience.

Sat 26 Jan, 2013 1:37 am
Profile WWW
TRAIL BOSS

Thanks everyone for your support and comments, I will keep you posted on results for the races I do in NZ leading up to Romaniacs and also how the pre-training and prep is going, should be able to get some good footage as well :headbang

April - I will send you a PM, interested in any help and advice icon_thumright

Michael - Good to hear from you, been a while. I like the idea of rowing machine, might have a look around and see what I can find. I hear what you’re saying about the age thing, I thought I would have a crack while I can, injury pre-race is my biggest concern. crybaby2

Shaun - I just sneak in under the 50 so can tick that one. hello2 Costs accumulate quickly. :cussing Entry fee 1430euro which includes 6 nights accommodation with breakfast, need to get in early to get the best accommodation though(Ramada 5 star for early entry) 3star if you’re late. Bikes can be anything from 1500euro to 2350euro depending on make, model and year. A few of us are looking at taking our own bikes. You then need a service package, around 500euro, flights around 2k and then tyres and bits and pieces. I will do a report once finished on costs, pit falls, do's and dont's as I have already found some roadblocks that take a bit to work around, hopefully this will help anyone else that wants to have a crack, I will give you a call when I am back and free to ride and will turn up icon_thumright

2SMOKER - I will give you a call too when I get back, be good to hit a few tracks mid - week

RO54XLK - Like the way you think :D only problem with the plan is you need to be near them when they fall or is that if they fall notworthy and not a couple of days behind BangHead

Thanks again everyone, I will keep you posted.
Ride, Ride and Ride :wav
Cheers
Pricey

Sat 26 Jan, 2013 6:25 am
TRAIL GURU

What an adventure entering the Romaniacs. :wav

Good luck Pricey, look forward to your reports. icon_thumright

Watched a clip of a guy riding a ktm 350 freeride and winning his heat in the prologue, would be interested to know how the freeride goes in the main race if it's not to much trouble. I do know that you might be a bit busy.

Sat 26 Jan, 2013 8:29 am
TRAIL HACK

pricey wrote:
I am interested to hear from people who have ideas for fitness training, currently running, riding and cycling
Cheers
Pricey

Consider Hot Yoga (look up bonfire)
Yoga in a room heated to 38-40 degrees without the airy fairy mumbo jumbo.
The wifey roped me in to have a go, after only seven classes the love handles are gone and my backs stronger and theres a two pack where there was a slab ( wife can't see it but she needs new glasses).
You sweat a LOT .It targets the core muscles and flexibility and is an intense workout without the instant muscle soreness. And there is gray haired fit guys doing it so you won't feel out of place :D . Classes go f or 60 or 90 minutes.

Cheers
Daren

Sat 26 Jan, 2013 5:10 pm
TRAIL GURU

get yourself an old tractor tyre anfd flip it end for end up and down your driveway in your ride gear . massive cardio + quads , core and shoulder workout Then if you get stuck over there you can always pick your bike up and carry it

Sat 26 Jan, 2013 6:16 pm
TRAIL BOSS

Flower Power wrote:
What an adventure entering the Romaniacs. :wav

Good luck Pricey, look forward to your reports. icon_thumright

Watched a clip of a guy riding a ktm 350 freeride and winning his heat in the prologue, would be interested to know how the freeride goes in the main race if it's not to much trouble. I do know that you might be a bit busy.

No worries, I will keep you posted. I rode a freeride on one of our training tracks with big hills, found it run out of steam on the really steep stuff but was really nimble and good in the tight stuff, I think if it was re-mapped to increase the horse power it would be a great all rounder icon_thumright

Sat 26 Jan, 2013 7:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
support our sponsors Servicing SEQLD
Info on how to become a sponsor here. Full directory listing of sponsors here.