View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon 18 Dec, 2017 3:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Termites.....yeah found them in my house today 
TRAIL HACK

Post Termites.....yeah found them in my house today
Damn fricken' basta*d termites are eating my house as it turns out. House is a seven year old QLD brick veneer made with cypress pine but no termi-mesh. I was about to run in a new LAN cable for a PC when I found the tell tale signs and then the search began..... :o ...... BangHead

As Markwr400426 says:

Contrary to what most of an industry would love you to think, termites don't eat a house down overnight. They take 12 months to do serious economic damage. The most important thing to take out of that is that no matter what you're confronted with in the termite issue, you've always got time to make an informed decision. Make a panicked decision, and it's usually a decision that ends up being NOT in your best interests. When termites occur, with most homes under an annual inspection profile, termites are found in trim timbers before structural damage occurs.

Well.....this was the total reverse. None of the trim or dressing timbers have been hit nor are there any tell-tale signs of entry. The only sign was a slightly weakened section of plasterboard 7 feet up near a corner of the wall, plus the mud trails I found on the top of the wall timber in the roof space.

When I wrapped on the wall section I could hear the pricks clicking and nattering to each other, and then the sound of dread set in....the sound of them eating the timbers.... crybaby2 and the area affected is probably 1 metre in diameter....so far.

The kicker is I check every 6-12 months and enter the ceiling at least 3-4 times a year and glance over stuff but this was not obvious at all...in fact if I'd not moved the insulation in this particular spot when picking the best cable path I'd have missed it too.

And, the pest bloke I got round said that the 12 month checks would have missed it also, and then he gave the unwanted guests a double dose of Termidoor....and says he'll be back in a fortnight to do it again...and tear down some of the wall. Hopefully the damage isn't too extensive (maybe 600-1200mm of timber / gyprock) but then again its unknown until we start tearing it down but that occurs once the nest is dead I guess in two weeks.

The question is....is two weeks too long to wait after a double dose of termidoor or should I remain calm despite watching the pest bloke drive his testing tool thru what used to be timber...... violent5

These apparently are not the copper-whatsit type ones, and they are not the micro-ceratermes (I think thats what Mark called them)...they are the semi-aggressive 5mm long ones...whatever they are they need to be dead, dead, dead..... :cussing

Mon 01 Oct, 2012 7:16 pm
TRAIL GURU

Post Re: Termites.....yeah found them in my house today
That's a dame shame mate,I wouldn't touch them,just wait,if you disturb them they will go further into your house.
Termites don't eat cypress,so would be interesting what has happened,and yes they love the trimmings around the house but not cypress????It's hard but just wait and think about what you do,because might make it things more differcult in the end.And listen to the termite guy,also remember they don't like the sun light they die within minutes.but I'm just a builder!!!!!

Mon 01 Oct, 2012 8:39 pm
Pro Dude
Pro Dude

Mark got rid of my termites .. Chem injection

Tue 02 Oct, 2012 9:23 am
Pro Dude
Pro Dude

Mark got rid of In-laws termites chem injection also

Tue 02 Oct, 2012 9:24 am
TRAIL GURU

Chem injection..yikes :o

Which buttock..left or right...........................

Tue 02 Oct, 2012 1:58 pm
TRAIL BOSS

little buggers will eat cypress..just not their preferred meal..got into a hardwood beam of a house I had on Bribie...I couldnt even drive a hail into the timber without it bending...so SHIT you have to give them an A for persistence...

Tue 02 Oct, 2012 5:12 pm
TRAIL HACK

Had a good chat with Mark yesterday and now have a solid plan in action; biggest thing to come tho is when I start pulling back the plasterboard and assess how far / what damage has been done. Mark gave me some real good advice and for sure if I can get away with a localized termidoor chem barrier then that might be the go, unless I get a good deal on a full barrier for the house....overkill maybe but then when your house is under attack I don't think anyone would be complacent.

Spoke to a mate also who is a chippy by trade so I've got the reassurance of having someone to help out replacing wall studs and gyprock so now the waiting game has begun as I wait for the white devils to die.......... thefinger

Wed 03 Oct, 2012 9:25 am
TRAIL BOSS

mate if your house is only 7 yrs old it must have termimesh..cant build without it ..council wont sign off on the build....when you get into the wall check where the frame bolts to the slab..need to findout what kind of termi barrier is under the slab!!!

Wed 03 Oct, 2012 10:03 am
TRAIL HACK

hey dangles, yeah its closer to 9 years old as my missus has corrected me. No termi-mesh, and I suspect no chemical barrier angry4 but I'm keen to find their entry point for sure. The problem I do have tho is the w*nker who owns the rental house across the street from my house who has termites in that house....apparently they know they are there and have replaced damaged timbers but never treated the termites so they are still eating away at the house.

What my concern is that because they keep disturbing the termites over there but not treating them then the sods decide to move their nest to neighboring houses; I suspect these I have found are from over the road initially.

Wed 03 Oct, 2012 12:14 pm
Pro Dude
Pro Dude

some houses only use a 75 mm barrier as termite barrier.. I:E Bricks sitting up high on concrete as first coarse ..it is only visual barrier as is termi mesh or other products.. manyways of doing it these days ..

Wed 03 Oct, 2012 3:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ] 
support our sponsors Servicing SEQLD
Info on how to become a sponsor here. Full directory listing of sponsors here.