View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun 22 Oct, 2017 3:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 I got the fear... 
TRAIL BOSS

Post I got the fear...
When buying my bike (first bike) at a certain dealership a little over a year ago, I bought it on the condition that it have a valve check, oil and filter changed, air filter replaced with a new one, and radiator guards fitted.
At the time, and not knowing better, I thought that I might be getting a better, more reliable bike from a dealership, so I stayed away from private sales..

When the bike was delivered, it had radiator guards and the oil looked fresh, but no new air filter. Don't know about oil filter. Didn't say anything, was just happy to have my bike.

Recently bent one of my radiator guards and realised that the 2 middle bolts on the back brace hadn't been put in when the guards were installed, and this allowed the braces and radators to flex backwards more than they should have.

Long story short, got the shits and called up dealership, said wtf? Told service manager the whole story and said I'm not happy, what else got missed? (I didn't get the the original louvre part for the radiators with delivery either)

He had no record of what had or hadn't been done, said it was a dodgy apprentice that did the work who's not there anymore, and to regain my trust in their service department he would like to offer a free valve check and re-shim if necessary, in case it wasn't done originally.

F@@rk. In case? :cussing

Thought it sounded ok to let them do a valve check since I don't know what I'm doing with anything inside the motor... Especially with it being free.
Until this afternoon when I dropped the bike off and went to drive home, got this sudden feeling of dread.

I can't shake it. I got the fear confused2

People have to earn my trust for me to be happy to let them work on my bike. I don't like the thought of letting anyone touch the bike unless I am absolutely confident they will do the best job they can do. Don't even like the thought of someone else changing the oil.

Really the only reason I went with it is because it is free.
I don't know what is involved with a valve check, but I'm hoping it is hard to stuff up?

Am I just being paranoid?

Mon 20 Aug, 2012 9:15 pm
TRAIL HACK

Post Re: I got the fear...
A valve check is easy as...at the least it takes 5 minutes with a set of feeler gauges 0.17-0.22mm on the exhaust and 0.10-0.15mm on the inlet side. A dodgey apprentice could still stuff it up tho....

Reshimming is a little more complex on the wrf but still its not that hard....unless you are unlucky to drop the half moon from the cam cap down the timing chain valley (I've been there, worst case can be a complete split cases to retrieve it) but with some simple tools its not difficult. If you are up to it there are plenty of vids on youtube and stuff about servicing your bike and e-bay is great for buying stuff like digital verniers, shim kits etc.

Your paranoia justified tho...if the dealer misses a few odd bolts on a guard / fairing then I'd be thinking twice about going back let alone opening the engine up even for a valve shim check. Drop the dealer name and the masses will chime in as to their thoughts...

Mon 20 Aug, 2012 10:12 pm
TRAIL HACK

try this site Dave.Think its been posted before?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grOfpX-DRMM
I followed it to do oil change on my 450f.This guy misses nothing.

Poor excuse the shop saying "apprentice worked on it and he's gone."I know they got to learn but if they're not that competent why wasn't he being supervised and only left only once competent?

Mon 20 Aug, 2012 11:08 pm
TRAIL BOSS

I'll have to wait and see. They do have a whole new service crew there in the mean time.
Picking it up this afternoon, think i have to find someone who can teach me about the internal workings of a bike motor.
I'm fine doing anything else, but when it comes to things inside the motor, i am not confident having a go without knowing how to go about it and what can go wrong. Would be my luck to drop something into the motor BangHead

Tue 21 Aug, 2012 8:32 am
TRAIL HACK

Dave - check out johnnysshop on YouTube...he has great vids for stripping down and rebuilding an 04 yzf 250 which isn't much different to the wrf. Good viewing and plenty on hands on to learn from.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL48886B3EC60E78B7

Tue 21 Aug, 2012 8:59 am
TRAIL BOSS

dt200rg wrote:
Dave - check out johnnysshop on YouTube...he has great vids for stripping down and rebuilding an 04 yzf 250 which isn't much different to the wrf. Good viewing and plenty on hands on to learn from.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL48886B3EC60E78B7

Cheers. Will do. icon_thumright

Tue 21 Aug, 2012 10:38 am
TRAIL BOSS

was it scumstate? if so, your feeling of dread is justified, to put it lightly, if.......somehow......every other bike shop in queensland mysteriously closed down, and the whole state suddenly developed amnesia and not 1 person in qld had the ability to check valves.......i would stop riding..until i could afford to drive to nsw to get it checked.................NOT JOKING.

CHEERS

Tue 21 Aug, 2012 3:56 pm
Pro Dude
Pro Dude

Prolly should check nuts and bolts on your bike , They vibrate loose and fall out ... Hard to really Blame the dealer unless u know for sure They havnt fallen out .... Because if they havt been in for 12 months im sure you would of noticed loose rad gaurds when u have striped and cleaned ur bike properly dontknow

Tue 21 Aug, 2012 5:20 pm
TRAIL BOSS

I always check nuts and bolts, and do pull everything apart from time to time for a good clean.

It was the 2 middle bolts on the back brace that goes through from one side to the other that had been left out. I know they were never there because the heads of the screws that should have been there would have left an indent in the soft aluminium if they had ever been there.
It didn't make the guards loose, just made it a little easier for the guards and radiators to bend back without the middle being supported.
The only reason I can think of is that they were difficult to get to, so young apprentice left them out.

Got the bike back today anyway, happy it is all ok and ready to go now. icon_thumright

Will still try to learn about doing things like valve check myself in future though.

Tue 21 Aug, 2012 8:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ] 
support our sponsors Servicing Australia
Info on how to become a sponsor here. Full directory listing of sponsors here.