View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat 16 Dec, 2017 5:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Frustration 
TRAIL BOSS

Post Frustration
Decided to start pulling the bike apart the other day, everything has been copping a flogging lately.

Sprockets and chain stuffed, fork seals leaking, bars and mounts bent, throttle cable damaged, some plastics broken.
Need to have valves checked, probably best to look at bearings, thought I might as well get suspension sorted before I hop on the bike again, too.

That was fine until I realised I needed tyres for one car and rego for 2 cars this month plus a million bills... now I'll have to wait for tax time to get the bike going again. BangHead

Should I just do the absolutely necessary to get it going again, or take my time and get everything perfect before I go out again?

Hate being in this situation. :cussing

Sat 16 Jun, 2012 10:25 pm
TRAIL BOSS

Post Re: Frustration
beer willmake it better icon_thumright

Sat 16 Jun, 2012 11:04 pm
Pro Dude
Pro Dude

Schultz wrote:
Decided to start pulling the bike apart the other day, everything has been copping a flogging lately.

Sprockets and chain stuffed, fork seals leaking, bars and mounts bent, throttle cable damaged, some plastics broken.
Need to have valves checked, probably best to look at bearings, thought I might as well get suspension sorted before I hop on the bike again, too.

That was fine until I realised I needed tyres for one car and rego for 2 cars this month plus a million bills... now I'll have to wait for tax time to get the bike going again. BangHead

Should I just do the absolutely necessary to get it going again, or take my time and get everything perfect before I go out again?

Hate being in this situation. :cussing

Sprockets +chain combo $90 rocky mountain atv
Bars bent , But how do the mounts bend ??
Bars are cheap also $100 ??
valves ur self , if in tolerance put back together if not take to a shop ?
Plastics dont worry rougher they look better rider u look :P
Fork seals , have u tried cleaning them ? if not 2 litres of oil and a seal kit pretty cheap 600 ml a fork roughly
Bearings for wheels are not to prcey from bearing shop , take em out and bring with u to the local store..

sometimes u just goto put the 500 bucks into ur bike Shultz to keep bringing it up to a rideable toy..
i try to think in advance what i need , like today i said to royce i better go grab bearings for my wheels cause its been a few months since i done em.. and we do ride in alot of water n mud , and when my frnt sprocket looks like it is thin i replace strait away , because it will strip on next ride ..i seen many people do this with sprockets..

pay ur bills first then ride i say , but when u buy up grab the lot and doit over a week ..took me 24 hours just to find where i put muy swingarm nut crybaby2 crybaby2 crybaby2 crybaby2 and after i looked hard enuff it was actually on the bolt eh

Sat 16 Jun, 2012 11:12 pm
TRAIL BOSS

Yeah I know, Plan ahead. BangHead

It is my first bike, so haven't really had experience with anything bike related before.
When something goes wrong for the first time I usually haven't come across that problem before, it's been a steep learning curve for me so far.

Oil and filter has always been done regularly, brakes bled, and replaced small stuff when it breaks (usually have to research before pulling anything apart to make sure I'm not wrecking it) but that's never been a problem, most of that is self explanatory.

Never been good with the mechanical side of things so checking valves is a bit beyond me, wouldn't have a clue how the inside of forks look or how they work but recon I could do bearings if I had a go.

I prefer to stay away from things if I don't know the inner workings of, because my luck is that while pulling something apart I loose a spring or washer or something and don't know how to put it back in, or think I know and it ends up being wrong.
Also mostly end up doing things the long and hard way, because I don't know what special tools I need and what I can get away with, and never know where to start on a particular job.

Getting all the important things shortly so that's all ok, been looking at rockymountain for most of the stuff.

It's the big things I suppose that I will have to start looking at that get a bit daunting.

Sun 17 Jun, 2012 10:15 am
TRAIL BOSS

Most of what you posted is pretty straight forward, maybe the hardest for you if this is your 1st bike would' be valve check, which would cost you less than $80 if you remove the tank, shrouds, seat before taking it to the shop, what leads u to believe your throttle cables stuffed? Leaking fork seals can often be fixed with a homemade plastic tool and 20 mins, sprockets and chain less than $100 plus delivery rmatv, buy a few oil filters, brake pads while your there to justify the delivery, my order was clutch cable, sprocket and chain, throttle tube, cable, grip set, 3 air filters, 3 oil filters, lexx exhaust, front and rear brake pads both by 3 ,new oneal boots, pants, jersey, gloves and a couple other items left me change from $500, bearings can all be cleaned and regressed if not too far gone, have u got a manual? Do it yourself once and after that it's a breeze, save yourself big $$$$$$

Good luck

Sun 17 Jun, 2012 10:32 am
TRAIL BOSS

just a quicie re the fork seals my wr450 yammie used to eat front fork seals all the time every time i seem to drop the bike the seals would then leak .I used to use genuine yamaha fork seals. then i started using all balls triple lip fork seals and havent had a problem since
btw the yammie seals were $50 the all balls seals $38
You must pull the fork wiper down and clean the mud out as often as u would clean your air filter when mud geds in there the seals just constantly weap. i spray cheap wd spray in there to blast out the mud then wipe with a white rag until clean
I am not an all balls rep i just think their product is really good!
with your valve clearences I would find someone on this website who lives close to you who can show you how to check them once(run you through the procedure) so then you can do them yourself as you really need to do this at the recommended service time(oterwise you bike will become hard to start and potentially burn a valve costing more money)
the more you can do your self the less reliant you will be on the bike shop at $80 hr

if you are willing to drive across the border to Murwillumbah i would be quite willing to show you how to check your valve clearences for free as I have been doing this for my friends for years icon_thumright

Sun 17 Jun, 2012 10:46 am
TRAIL BOSS

karlmagoo wrote:
Most of what you posted is pretty straight forward, maybe the hardest for you if this is your 1st bike would' be valve check, which would cost you less than $80 if you remove the tank, shrouds, seat before taking it to the shop, what leads u to believe your throttle cables stuffed? Leaking fork seals can often be fixed with a homemade plastic tool and 20 mins, sprockets and chain less than $100 plus delivery rmatv, buy a few oil filters, brake pads while your there to justify the delivery, my order was clutch cable, sprocket and chain, throttle tube, cable, grip set, 3 air filters, 3 oil filters, lexx exhaust, front and rear brake pads both by 3 ,new oneal boots, pants, jersey, gloves and a couple other items left me change from $500, bearings can all be cleaned and regressed if not too far gone, have u got a manual? Do it yourself once and after that it's a breeze, save yourself big $$$$$$

Good luck

Everyone is asking me how I managed to wreck the throttle cable.
Throttle cable got pinched between bars and a rock, got a hole in the cable sleeve, and can see the cable is slightly frayed. Bars and mounts got a jolt at the same time.

Cheers for the encouragement, the bike is already apart so when I get chain and sprockets and bars and mounts I will take it in to get valves checked before I put it back together.

rmatv seems to be the go for just about anything bike related, everything is half the price, and you're right, with a couple of extra items to justify postage, will work out well.

Just need to pay some bills first... got another addition to the family due next month too, so probably a couple of months and I'll be back out there.

Sun 17 Jun, 2012 10:57 am
TRAIL BOSS

Shoulda probably added to, the answer to your question re temp fixes just to get out there, do you like bush walking?, if yes, do you like doing it up and down hills while pushing a 120kg bike in boots all day?, trust me, it sux the jolly hard 1 mate, good luck

Sun 17 Jun, 2012 11:31 am
TRAIL BOSS

+1 yep all the fun goes out of riding when your bike breaks down in the bush! in a 30 foot ravine with vertical tracks in and out.... in the rain :cussing

Sun 17 Jun, 2012 3:28 pm
Pro Dude
Pro Dude

Just save up and take it to a shop if ur not confident Schulz.. im not bothered if i loose washers n shit along the way as long as me bike still goes in forward direction im happy :-P

Sun 17 Jun, 2012 4:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ] 
support our sponsors Servicing Australia
Info on how to become a sponsor here. Full directory listing of sponsors here.