View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon 18 Dec, 2017 6:41 pm



Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Ride grading Do we need or want it 

Do we need ride Grading
Yes on ALL rides 62%  62%  [ 29 ]
Yes on some rides 36%  36%  [ 17 ]
No It,s a Stupid idea 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 47

 Ride grading Do we need or want it 
Author Message
TRAIL GURU
User avatar

Joined: Wed 16 Mar, 2011 8:06 am
Posts: 559
Post Re: Ride grading Do we need or want it
Shane-O wrote:
i think people who think they are grade 4 riders should come to belthorpe sat night :manager: ( even tho im no grade 4 rider but i know ill enjoy it )


Its a good thing that I'm not a grade 4 rider then.... :fart

_________________
The other half of Paul450X


Sun 15 Jan, 2012 8:05 pm
Profile
Post Re: Ride grading Do we need or want it
I'll have a look at it if you like Wes... after all I did "modify" the one I use


Sun 15 Jan, 2012 8:06 pm
TRAIL LEGEND
User avatar

Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 5:22 pm
Posts: 1178
Location: Sunny Coast
Post Re: Ride grading Do we need or want it
Shane-O wrote:
i think people who think they are grade 4 riders should come to belthorpe sat night :manager: ( even tho im no grade 4 rider but i know ill enjoy it )


typical australian male underestimation of themselves......

Yep, you are clearly NOT a grade 4 rider Shane...

You are one of the grade 5 to 6 riders we have, very little will stop you, hills obstacles etc....

Competant fit and youthful exuberance!!



.

_________________
EVERYBODY DIES
BUT NOT EVERYBODY LIVES


Sun 15 Jan, 2012 8:16 pm
Profile WWW
TRA Sponsor

Joined: Thu 04 Aug, 2011 6:56 pm
Posts: 419
Post Re: Ride grading Do we need or want it
501freak wrote:
Shane-O wrote:
i think people who think they are grade 4 riders should come to belthorpe sat night :manager: ( even tho im no grade 4 rider but i know ill enjoy it )




gee riding graded grade 1 tracks, can you say exciting , now i would be in but about a 8 o'clock start and with only the headlight on your bike, no other lighting :D


i'm in for a 8 o'clock start and only the headlight :headbang


Sun 15 Jan, 2012 8:19 pm
Profile
TRAIL PORN STAR
User avatar

Joined: Thu 16 Jul, 2009 7:08 pm
Posts: 3159
Location: Rio Brisbanero
Post Re: Ride grading Do we need or want it
andrew435 wrote:
501freak wrote:
Shane-O wrote:
i think people who think they are grade 4 riders should come to belthorpe sat night :manager: ( even tho im no grade 4 rider but i know ill enjoy it )




gee riding graded grade 1 tracks, can you say exciting , now i would be in but about a 8 o'clock start and with only the headlight on your bike, no other lighting :D


i'm in for a 8 o'clock start and only the headlight :headbang

Well its clear none of you guys have riden a Husky WR in the dark :o
A fire fly on the gooseneck of a BMX bike puts out more light BangHead

PS 8 o'clock start sounds good


Sun 15 Jan, 2012 8:25 pm
Profile
TRAIL PORN STAR
User avatar

Joined: Sat 22 Aug, 2009 11:11 pm
Posts: 4013
Location: Brisbane
Post Re: Ride grading Do we need or want it
Ok 8 am it is I guess :D and headlights only,
ill man up even tho I should bring that pink tutu with me....

Redhot, who are you trying to fool :P im unfit and quite when it rain's :D

_________________
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake


Sun 15 Jan, 2012 8:27 pm
Profile WWW
TRAIL HACK

Joined: Sun 09 May, 2010 11:01 am
Posts: 85
Post Re: Ride grading Do we need or want it
I think the grading system doesn't work because good riders tend to under rate themselves and shit riders tend to talk it up. Simplifying it a 3 grade system might be a good option.

I like the sound of this one

1 easy = newbys and beginners.

2 intermediate = average ride, there will be hills, bogholes and some tricky shit but pace turns out to be whatever it ends up being and level 1 riders welcome if they want to push themselves keeping mind the hills,bogs and tricky shit. . . .This is what i'd rank dale's typical beer ride, everybody welcome but tricky shit included.

3 hard = lots of hills, faster pace, fewer stops or high kays. but most important of all is no newbys, beginners or sooks. the rest will sort itself out.

_________________
I was speeding officer because motorbikes fall over if you don't go fast.


Sun 15 Jan, 2012 9:52 pm
Profile
TRA Sponsor
User avatar

Joined: Sat 08 Oct, 2011 3:17 pm
Posts: 903
Location: maleny , sunny coast
Post Re: Ride grading Do we need or want it
not been a TRA member for long ,but been riding since 04. i think the grading system is a must on all rides . i ride kenilworth imbil area most of the time . and with the up and down hills there ,with no grading system it would get a bit dangerous for the newer riders . maybe the answer is to have a few come and try ride days at set grades ( hills rocky stuff ete ) so the newer riders can see what the harder grades are like to ride :D

_________________
churchills spr solid plastering and render http://www.4render.com.au

0415787277


Mon 16 Jan, 2012 12:08 pm
Profile
TRAIL BOSS

Joined: Wed 15 Jul, 2009 12:19 pm
Posts: 273
Location: Upper Brookfield
Post Re: Ride grading Do we need or want it
Another 5 pages about ride grading! Oh please shoot me! :boxing

Same old shit every 6 months as TRA get new members. No wonder so many have dropped off the scene, don't lead anymore and do PM rides. BangHead

I think a brief explanation of the planned ride is more important than grading. So if Lead / ride poster can give a quick run down of planned route, terrain, pace and number of stops that would be better. Simple as that!

I'll go hide back under my rock now. binkybaby

_________________
Rasing Kids is like being pecked to death by chickens - extremely slow and painful.


Mon 16 Jan, 2012 1:49 pm
Profile WWW
TRAIL GURU

Joined: Mon 05 Jul, 2010 10:46 pm
Posts: 874
Post Re: Ride grading Do we need or want it
BertyS wrote:
Another 5 pages about ride grading! Oh please shoot me! :boxing

Same old shit every 6 months as TRA get new members. No wonder so many have dropped off the scene, don't lead anymore and do PM rides. BangHead

I think a brief explanation of the planned ride is more important than grading. So if Lead / ride poster can give a quick run down of planned route, terrain, pace and number of stops that would be better. Simple as that!

I'll go hide back under my rock now. binkybaby



It could well get to that i would say. dontknow . You might have the ones that will do there own thing and pm each other, and do what they want, when they want, Dont put there names down, and just turn up for rides.But then you will have the ones that want to post a ride up, just to go out and have some fun,Get into a bit of Carnage-- meet new poeple, and possibly give some helpful hints and advice. No matter were you go, or what you do there will always be sombody who is always out to bag other poeple, and run them down. But they always seem to stand at the back of the pack keeping quiet and not be seen or heard. Always get it at work. We have our big meetings, and the ones who always winge,and reckon there gunna do this and say that, just sit there like a stale bottle of beer. Its life. When i get my new radiators on the bike. I will be posting up a ride again. But this time i will explain the type of terrain it will be, and see how good it will flow with how many poeple on the day, possibly a stop at the shop. If its either to hard for some. Or to easy and poor for others. So be it. I may not ever get anyone on a ride, But i will put it out there, icon_thumright


Last edited by 1650bullet on Mon 16 Jan, 2012 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Mon 16 Jan, 2012 3:52 pm
Profile
Pro Dude
Pro Dude

Joined: Sat 11 Jul, 2009 4:20 pm
Posts: 9854
Location: Chapel Hill The Good Side
Post Re: Ride grading Do we need or want it
you will get heaps on ur rides Bullet !! dont let last weekend bother u

_________________
You can take my life , But u can't take my Freedom eh


Mon 16 Jan, 2012 5:11 pm
Profile
TRAIL HACK

Joined: Sun 09 May, 2010 11:01 am
Posts: 85
Post Re: Ride grading Do we need or want it
I think the problem might be many new comers have been riding for a few years and consider them selves an average rider even though they might not be average by tra standards. I think the grading system should be something like this.

level 1. beginner ''which lever is the brake and which one is the clutch''
level 2. novice ''I know how the bike works I want to ride a bumpy road''
level 3. average [easy flowing tracks with some hills and ruts but nothing your likely to have to get of and push]
level 4. challenging [plenty of steep hills ruts logs and water crossings. you are more than welcome to come on one of these rides if you are a level 3 but be prepared to get flogged. plenty of assistance is given on these rides so if your experienced be prepared to help]
level 5. hard core [riding hard and fast over difficult terrain with few stops. experienced riders only.

I realize this topic is getting old and I will shut up now.

_________________
I was speeding officer because motorbikes fall over if you don't go fast.


Tue 17 Jan, 2012 2:13 pm
Profile
TRAIL BOSS

Joined: Wed 06 Jan, 2010 5:44 am
Posts: 301
Post Re: Ride grading Do we need or want it
While I beleive all posted rides should have an intended grade, I personally don't think there is anything wrong with the current grading system TRA uses.

The issue is either people over-grading themselves or not full understanding what the different grades are until they get on a ride.

I don't believe a new grading system isn't going to fix that. You could come up with new grading levels, with precise descriptions and videos to illustrate what each one is, and people still wouldn't get it.

Let's just leave it the way it is, not over complicate it, and accept that from time to time riders may turn up who are out of their depth and just leave it up to the lead to determine how they want to handle this (i.e tell the :manager: to f off if it's Manager leading, modify the route if it's Dale leading, find an easier creek crossing if it's Strummer leading etc). If you aren't happy with the way they handle it, as Manager said, you can just leave the ride and do your own thing if you want.


Tue 17 Jan, 2012 3:06 pm
Profile
TRAIL GURU

Joined: Thu 23 Jul, 2009 7:37 pm
Posts: 450
Location: Nambour
Post Re: Ride grading Do we need or want it
The problem with vids is they make everything look easier than they really are. icon_scratch


Tue 17 Jan, 2012 4:50 pm
Profile WWW
TRAIL YOBBO
User avatar

Joined: Mon 18 Oct, 2010 2:36 pm
Posts: 35
Location: Sunshine Coast
Post Re: Ride grading Do we need or want it
bigstim179 wrote:
While I beleive all posted rides should have an intended grade, I personally don't think there is anything wrong with the current grading system TRA uses.

The issue is either people over-grading themselves or not full understanding what the different grades are until they get on a ride.

I don't believe a new grading system isn't going to fix that. You could come up with new grading levels, with precise descriptions and videos to illustrate what each one is, and people still wouldn't get it.

Let's just leave it the way it is, not over complicate it, and accept that from time to time riders may turn up who are out of their depth and just leave it up to the lead to determine how they want to handle this (i.e tell the :manager: to f off if it's Manager leading, modify the route if it's Dale leading, find an easier creek crossing if it's Strummer leading etc). If you aren't happy with the way they handle it, as Manager said, you can just leave the ride and do your own thing if you want.



+1

i think most people once they have been on a ride, are able to aline their ability correctly with the current grading system. i would hope most people, if new to the site or rides, would pick or wait for a lower grade ride to start with. Thats what i did when i returned to riding after a few years off. Sure, the ride might be a bit easy for you if it turns out your ability is higher, but at least you're out for a ride. Next time you can select a grade closer to your style.

_________________
09 EC300 GG


Wed 18 Jan, 2012 10:51 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
support our sponsors Servicing Australia
Info on how to become a sponsor here. Full directory listing of sponsors here.



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.