View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon 23 Oct, 2017 2:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 1991 KDX250 
TRAIL YOBBO

Post 1991 KDX250
Hi all, I have been looking for a cheap old two stroke project for a while and have finally stumbled upon a 1991 KDX250.

First question is, were they all registrable? Don't want to buy it, do it all up ready for rego and find it can't be regoed!

The guy said it "lost power" and got hard to kick start, so he just put it away, it aparantly still runs. So would this just need a top end rebuild?

Anything else I should look for and ask when I go look at the bike?

Thanks in advanced.

Tue 20 Nov, 2012 8:47 pm
TRAIL GURU

Post Re: 1991 KDX250
A bike thats 1991 in vintage would need a good lookover. Things to look out for with such an old bike would be Worn out: Brake pads and discs--Chain and Sprokets--Levers and cables--footpegs--wheel bearings.Rear suspenion and swingarm linkages bearings and mounts--Front fork seals--steering head bearings.You will then need to purchase the necessary bits such as lights--switches and numberplate bracket. These are just the things that need to be done to pass RWC. And then theres the engine. Whats the clutch and gears like.A top-end rebuild might be ok. But what if the crankshaft and engine bearings fail after a couple of runs out on the trails Your then up for a full rebuild. Does the exhaust look ok. (No dents in the pipe or damaged muffler)

I hope i have not turned you away from it. But just letting you know you could be up for 2--3 grand at least. If you purchase the bike for a good price and do all of what needs to be done you would have a bike thats almost brand new and could last for another 21 years.How much would it cost for a new 250cc dirt-bike compared to having your kdx250. You could come out really cheap with it. Have a look at Freakys posts of his 03-KDX200. They do up very nice. Maybe dale can tell you what his opinion on such a bike. Get onto flea-bay and have a look at all the parts you can still get for these type of bikes. Hope this gives you a bit of an idea on what your in for.

Last edited by 1650bullet on Wed 21 Nov, 2012 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue 20 Nov, 2012 10:24 pm
TRAIL LEGEND

Location: The part of warner i thought was good till i got robbed
Joe Watson wrote:
Hi all, I have been looking for a cheap old two stroke project for a while and have finally stumbled upon a 1991 KDX250.

First question is, were they all registrable? Don't want to buy it, do it all up ready for rego and find it can't be regoed!

The guy said it "lost power" and got hard to kick start, so he just put it away, it aparantly still runs. So would this just need a top end rebuild?

Thanks in advanced.

250s. Complianced. Mainly 80s

90s. More 200s.
Lots of import 250s around. No rego !!!!!
Look for aus compliance plate ! Can't find ? Then no rego crybaby2

Tue 20 Nov, 2012 11:12 pm
TRAIL LEGEND

Also. Kawasaki. We're first of Nicilsil. Bores. Can be expensive !

Tue 20 Nov, 2012 11:15 pm
TRAIL YOBBO

bestbuddy wrote:
Joe Watson wrote:

Thanks in advanced.

90s. More 200s.

The guy said it has a blue compliance plate...... not sure what that means.

Tue 20 Nov, 2012 11:32 pm
TRAIL LEGEND

Joe Watson wrote:
bestbuddy wrote:
Joe Watson wrote:

Thanks in advanced.

90s. More 200s.

The guy said it has a blue compliance plate...... not sure what that means.

Blue is mod plate. Prolly. Single seat rego

Wed 21 Nov, 2012 5:33 pm
Beerburrum Freak

Not sure on the 250 but don't forget the 200 as i think there a step ahead of the 250's

Wed 21 Nov, 2012 5:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ] 
support our sponsors Servicing Australia
Info on how to become a sponsor here. Full directory listing of sponsors here.