View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue 24 Oct, 2017 1:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Prescription Goggles 
TRAIL GURU

Post Prescription Goggles
Been thinking about some prescription goggles as the eyes aren't what they used to be.
I am guessing it will help with confidence if I can see where I am going a little more clearly. ;)

I have come across goggle man on the web, has anyone gone down this road and make any recommendations?

Thu 21 Jun, 2012 9:08 pm
TRAIL GURU

Post Re: Prescription Goggles
Probably the most vague answer you'll get but..
Theres an advertisement at the back of every trail rider australia magazine for a crowd that make prescription lenses. Cant think of the name but they look like they have a good product

Fri 22 Jun, 2012 3:47 pm
TRAIL LEGEND

Check this link out.
viewtopic.php?f=341&t=5355

10 Kawasaki Ninja 250R -too green

Fri 22 Jun, 2012 4:21 pm
TRAIL BOSS

i wonder what they would be like after they are all scratched up? as goggles scratch and scuff up way quicker than glasses do
probably be ok if you can still ride without them (i cant see without glasses) otherwise you would still have to carry glases incase you damaged your goggles or couldn't see out of them for some reason(mud) dontknow

Fri 22 Jun, 2012 4:41 pm
TRAIL LEGEND

spambo wrote:
probably be ok if you can still ride without them (i cant see without glasses) otherwise you would still have to carry glases incase you damaged your goggles or couldn't see out of them for some reason(mud) dontknow

Yup, if its muddy or cold I end up with goggles on my helmet n just riding with my glasses. Not an ideal situation though.

10 Kawasaki Ninja 250R -too green

Fri 22 Jun, 2012 4:43 pm
TRAIL BOSS

I have used Goggleman adaptors for years

They are lenses made to your prescription in a clear frame which sits inside the goggles. They can be taken out for cleaning etc
They are a lot better than glasses under the goggles because they don't move around etc.

Last time I got a pair they were only made for Scott goggles so your choices are limited. ( check with him, that may have changed )
The upside, if you have private health cover which includes optical it paid for the adaptors as well as the goggles supplied by Goggleman.

A couple of negatives to consider, if its getting hot and steamy and they start fogging up I can't just take them off because then I can't see where I'm going.
When I use them I have a pair of glasses handy in a bum bag for such situations.
My normal prescription is for gradual lenses, ie correction for long and short vision and my glasses are multifocal.
They can't do that in the adaptors and so he did a set of bifocal adaptors for me which weren't a great success.
I really need the close up vision for reading GPS, maps etc.
If you don't need that and only have a single focal correction then you really wouldn't have a problem.

The people are easy to deal with. You can ring him and talk about them if you have any questions

F

Fri 22 Jun, 2012 5:30 pm
TRAIL GURU

Looks like Goggleman has the goods.

Thanks for the info guys

Fri 22 Jun, 2012 8:15 pm
TRAIL HACK

Like Don said they are good as a single vision lens. I have been using them for about 3 years with no major issues. can be a pain when riding over corrugations or similar as the lens is fitted into the flexible aarea of the googles and can vibrate sometimes screwing with your vision a bit. Always carry an old pair of specs in my camelbak just in case I need to see without using the goggles - tyre repairs etc..

Sun 24 Jun, 2012 12:12 am
TRAIL GURU

K _ berg. I have em, single vision, wish I didnt have to, I can almost ride without them but once I get going quicker, end up hitting shit I just never saw.

Just need to be on top of anti fog when raining or hot, slow riding.
Yesterday it rained a little and I got some water up between lense and goggle, then hit a dusty spot and it screwed vision a bit.
You have to be real careful cleaning them out riding as they are plastic and scratch easily.

Send your goggles to them if not listed on website, theyll make em fit.

I havent tried other methods but I would recomend them still for riding.

Sun 24 Jun, 2012 8:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ] 
support our sponsors Servicing SEQLD
Info on how to become a sponsor here. Full directory listing of sponsors here.